Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Four Hours of what will be almost 20 hours called today


4 am – the train roars into the station. I awake, rattle the train off his tracks and try to go back to sleep. Sleep. I remember sleep. I remember the kind of sleep that felt like eternity and not like an overdue nap.

6 am – I give up, the dreams that come when you try and force yourself to sleep next to the train tracks are not worth the 7 extra minutes of shut eye.

Shower, robe, hair combed. Time to get the boy. The girl gets 7 more minutes before I deal with her. Please let it be the nice girl that crawls out of that pink bed. Not the screaming, kicking, crazy one. She scares me.

7 am – It’s wandering from one bedroom to the next making sure progress is being made. The clock is ticking. This is a race. A race to the big yellow bus that comes at exactly 8:07 and waits for no one. Put on your socks, put down the legos. Jeans or skirt? Hello Kitty or sparkly snowflake shirt. Put on BOTH socks. Where are your shoes. Put down the legos. Downstairs now! 6 minutes later, put down the legos, downstairs now! What would you like for breakfast? What do we have? The same things we have every single day, why do I need to recite the list like the diner waitress? Tips would be nice.

He’s being mean. She looked at me funny. He won’t stop tapping his foot. She stuck her tongue out at me. Eat your cereal.

Teeth and Shoes, everyone. Teeth and shoes. 10 years ago I would have never thought I’d say that as a sentence. Now I say it multiple times a week. Code. Mom Code.

Where’s your backpack, get your coat, hat, gloves, Oh crap it’s 8:02. Hustle.

8:04 almost out the door and one shoots past me up the stairs. Where are you going!!!! I forgot my bionicle for recess. My heart pounds fast. It’s like slow motion. Blue coat flying past me into the room that’s 3 feet deep in bionicles. What are the chances that he’ll find the one he wants and get back down the stairs in 1 minute? I panic and scream threats and profanities that will probably stay with him until 1st recess. I blink and he’s back, smiling, found it! Thank God, I’m sorry God. I’ll do better.

Kiss, I love you, have a super fantastic day, hugs.

There they go. Off to the bus. Will I remember that image in my head forever? Please tell me I’ll remember. God, help me remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment